Braids are the ultimate look to sport at a festival. Refreshingly low-maintenance, braids ooze boho chic and look great on all hair types. If you’re tired of always resorting to the tried and tested plait, try a Dutch milk braid, a cute way to keep hair under control.
Follow our simple steps:
- Create a parting from ear to ear over the top of your head and clip the rest of the hair below it back.
- Starting on one end, divide the hair into three strands. Cross the two outer strands into the centre picking up new stands of hair as you go, much like a sideways French braid. Continue doing this until you reach the other ear.
- Once the hair is plaited to the end take two grips and attach the hair behind the ear firmly in place.
- Curl the rest of the hair using tongs to create glamorous beach waves.
With summer on the doorstep it’s time to find an up do that will keep you feeling cool and looking hot! This braid is a perfect way to pull your hair back while maintaining a classy and elegant look to match any summer occasion, from a quiet family BBQ to a weekend music festival.
Here is our step-by-step guide to achieve a gorgeous French braid with fishtail plaits:
- Divide the hair into two sections with a centre parting from the forehead down to the nape of the neck. Clip away one side of the hair to ensure you have a clean section to work with.
- Start with a section at the front of the hair and divide into three distinct strands. Cross the two outer strands into the centre picking up new stands of hair as you go.
- Work this down the back of the head until the hair is fully plaited, having picked up all the hair from that half-section.
- To turn the ends into a fishtail plait, split the remaining hair into two sections. Separate a half-inch strand of hair from the outside of the left section and without twisting the strand, pull this piece across the top of the left section over to the right section. Repeat from the right side of the ponytail. Continue these steps until just the ends are left.
- Use small see-through bands leaving the ends out and, voila! Gorgeous braids!
Has all the warm weather we’ve been having recently got you thinking about your summer holidays? Us too. Before we know it schools will have broken up and we’ll be bundling kids, partners and half the wardrobe onto a plane in search of some sunshine.
Here’s our five-step guide to how you can keep your hair looking its best during your holiday.
- Pre-plan your colour
Although it may be tempting to get your hair coloured just before you jet off, sun and swimming can accelerate the fading process. We recommend you get your hair coloured one week before you go so the dye has time to bond to your hair and you won’t have any nasty surprises – we all know someone who has had a green hair disaster.
- Keep your hair strong
Strong sun, salt water and chlorine can be hard on your hair. To keep stressed-out locks from ruining your relaxation, take care of your hair before you go. Book in for a revolutionary Olaplex treatment in salon – this miracle product is proven to target hair strand structure, reconnecting bonds broken by colouring and daily life. It will give your hair the strength it needs to stand up to summer.
- Try a new holiday shade
Shake things up with a temporary colour change while you’re away. One of our favourite quick wins is to run a little pastel colour through light hair for a soft, carefree colour lift. Have a look at the latest rose gold hair colour trend for inspiration.
- Protect against the rays
You’d never forget to protect your skin, so why neglect your hair? Before you go, stock up on some products that will protect your hair from becoming dry and brittle through sun damage. Most hair sunscreens comes as a spritz which also add a lovely shine, plus you can get some that work on both hair and skin and smell amazing. You’ll wonder how you ever lived without it.
- Get some TLC when you return
Your hair is likely to grow quicker when you’re in the sunshine due to the increased vitamin D, which is linked to hair growth. So when you return home head down to the salon for some TLC including a Fusion Dose Kerastase treatment, aimed to give your hair all the nourishment it needs. Add a blow dry and you’ll be ready to show off your look, complete with tan, to your friends.